Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Free Willie

And with that title I'm not making assumptions about the price you could receive his coaching services (or lack there of). No, as most of you know, Willie was officially relieved of his duties as DC in a news conference around 3pm this afternoon. HC MR apparently thought the lackluster performances of the defensive unit were further rooted beyond the coaching of WM, and also decided to cut ties with defensive ends coach John Fabris and linebackers coach Jon Jancek.

The move didn't really shock anyone, as the defensive unit has gotten progressively worse under the direction of Martinez. What was shocking is that it took an extra 48 hours for Richt to pull the trigger on the announcement than most had expected.

As far as replacements are concerned, quite a few names are being tossed about, including the two who I think would be the best fits for our system. The names I've heard discussed so far have been Kirby Smart (DC, UA), Bud Foster (DC, VT), Tommy Tuberville, Brian VanGorder (DC, Falcons), Kevin Steele (DC, Clemson), and Jon Tenuda (DC, ND). Personally, I would love to see Foster or Smart. I've always enjoyed watching a Foster defense terrorize opponents, and he seems to coach the type of smash mouth ball we need again within our program. Smart would also be not so far below on the totem pole. He currently has the second best defense in the SEC, and is in the top ten nationally, 'nuff said. (Oh, and as you all know he is a GA boy.) Having had the displeasure of watching Notre Dame this year, I can't see how Tenuda would be much of an improvement over WM. VanGorder left once already, and I honestly can't see him dropping from the ranks of the NFL to come back as an assistant in college, though he would be a welcome sight on the sidelines. Tuberville is in that boat as well, having been an SEC HC for so long, I don't really see him coming back the game as a DC with so many HC positions surely to be coming open in the next few weeks. And, quite frankly, I don't know a dang thing about Steele, so I really can't comment one way or another.

Keep checking for updates, I'll have them as soon as I hear a peep one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment